Get out of Holiday Mode and Ready for Exams
Holidays are there for a reason. Unwinding, relaxing and so much more. The body and, more importantly, the mind needs a recharge during a holiday.
The information overload experienced during a school term needs to settle and we need to sift through what is important to store in our long term memory. We need to push that “refresh” button during our holidays.
However, the holidays just never seem long enough. Just as we get used to sleeping in and having later nights, the new school term comes knocking. For those of us living in the Western Cape, the third term holidays just seem to always end so abruptly and we tend to hit the fourth term running. That applies to both the children and teachers alike.
Now that the first week of school has started, and we’ve adjusted to the termly routine, we also have to face the prospects of exams and those dreaded ongoing assessments. The reality is that exams are only a few weeks away. Your child should be receiving their exam timetable fairly soon which is normally the wake-up call.
Routine is the key to getting out of holiday mode. The quicker your daily routine falls into place, the quicker a new rhythm takes over and getting ready for exams won’t feel so daunting.
Start preparing NOW by doing this …
- Prepare a study area. This is critical.
- Ensure your child has all the stationery they need at home and school, with spares available.
- Make morning wake-ups and bedtimes a part of the routine.
- Set a realistic study program. Let your child be part of this process, and listen to your child (within reason) as it is him or her that will be doing the studying.
- Discuss previous study methods: what worked, what didn’t? How long were effective study sessions that kept your child’s focus (e.g. 20 minutes)? How long are effective study breaks in between sessions?
- Discuss certain subject topics with your child. It’s important that you show an interest and allow your child to ask questions. The more comfortable they feel about a topic, the easier it will be to study.
- Use weekends not only to study, but also to prepare notes for study sessions and to check if your child understands what they have been revising.
- Test your child to see if they understand the work they have been studying, and if they have retained the knowledge. PRO tip: try WorksheetCloud! It will help you check to see what your child understands and with what they might be struggling to grasp. Remember, studying is meaningless without understanding.
Most importantly, put your child first – these are extremely important exams coming up. Encourage your child to work towards a goal, even if it’s only a 1% improvement per subject. Accomplishing a goal is always fulfilling and boosts self esteem.
Remember: the more prepared your child is, the less anxious they will be come exam time. Practice does eliminate stress, so the more effort they put into practicing the better off they will be. Don’t let your child manipulate you into feeling sorry for him or her. Feeling sorry for your child will not help in the long run.
Need help with exam revision and practice? Try WorksheetCloud. It gives you access to hundreds of interactive and printable CAPS-based worksheets in subjects like English, Afrikaans, Maths, Natural Science, Social Science and more.
A prepared child is a confident, happy child.
Explore other posts ...
2 minute read xam time is here, and with it comes a SUPER WorksheetCloud update (one that your child will LOVE). Wow. What a quick year. I'm starting to believe that time travel is a real thing, because how is it possible that we are already...
tudying for a test or exam sucks. Let's be honest. I am a father to a 16 year old boy. He is highly intelligent and bright, but not superbly studious. Just like me throughout my primary and high school career, he does enough to coast by without...
he NEW WorksheetCloud Report Card helps YOU help your child better. So many parents struggle when it comes to their child's education. You are probably not a teacher. You might be a stay-at-home mom, a doctor, a receptionist, an entrepreneur or...
Start your membership today.
Better learning experience for your child, improved school results and fewer headaches for you. Sign up takes less than 2 minutes. Ready to give WorksheetCloud a try?